The successful candidate will be part of the Support and Quality Assurance Group and responsible for the maintenance management implemented in all the technical facilities at the observatory and also prepare the proper maintenance strategy and its implementation to be carried out for the ELT programme.
The candidate will lead analysis and improvement proposals based on modern maintenance methodologies oriented to support decision making and optimize the maintenance performance at Paranal Observatory towards an efficient and effective management of the assets.
The MSE Department of the Paranal Observatory with a workforce of 80 engineers and technicians provides maintenance and technical support to the four 8m VLT telescopes, the VLT Interferometer with its auxiliary telescopes, the VST and VISTA survey telescopes and to all instruments available for scientific observations.
Astronomical instruments are large, complex facilities involving advanced technologies in the fields of optics, precision mechanics, electronics, cryogenics, detector acquisition systems and software.
SQA is comprised of 6 staff (engineers and administrative officers) and is responsible for various "back-office" type supporting functions to the technical and scientific operations at large, in particular : planning technical activities including the contracted maintenance services, asset management in general through a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and support to users, quality management and assurance on the site, outsourced contract management like the central (technical) warehouse (and the supply chain associated), support for documenting technical processes, support for purchasing to users, etc.
Main Duties and Responsibilities :
1) Identify and lead in close collaboration with system responsible the development of new projects / strategies focused on improving maintenance management at the observatory by :
identify improvement opportunities in the maintenance plan and processes; analysis of repetitive failures and problems that adversely affect Observatory operations.
To fulfill this responsibility, the maintenance engineer would apply modern data analysis techniques like reliability-availability-maintainability analysis (RAM), Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Risk Analysis.
2) Explore MAXIMO's unused potential for the observatory (KPIS, data, reports, FMA module, measurement points among others).
In the same way, lead improvements to the CMMS in order to ensure tool fit with the necessities of the observatory and coordinate globally efforts of improving the way we use CMMS, the way we optimize the PM plans in agreement with engineers, the way we improve the interaction and quality follow up of the contractors on those maintenance activities.
3) Support transversal activities of SQA, in particular Planners and Quality Assurance engineer for tasks when needed and especially when they are not on site.
4) Define proper process modeling under his / her responsibility. It will include other processes that may affect the maintenance management of the observatory.
5) Quality Assurance and Quality Control related activities as defined by Group Leader.
6) Participate and contribute to Paranal System Engineering, Change Control Board and other activities as requested by Group Leader and Head of Department.
Support and Quality Assurance Group Leader.
At least five years of demonstrated experience in maintenance management of large fleets, operational / productive facilities and ideally astronomical observatory environments, in the fields of maintenance management strategy, reliability (RAM), continuous improvement, leading small maintenance management projects, maintenance data analysis and implementation of resulting action plans.
Key Competences :
1) Interpersonal and team working skills.
2) Disciplined and assertive attitude to the permanent analysis of maintenance strategy.
3) Operations management
4) Supply chain management
5) Maintenance planning process
6) Multidisciplinary thinking-acting (incorporate different groups or skills available in other groups when needed)
7) Computer skills for office Packages
8) Very good knowledge of a CMMS and preferably IBM-MAXIMO.
9) Knowledge and familiarity with the following analysis techniques and methodologies is also required :
Degree : Execution or Civilian Engineering from University or equivalent Institutions Specialties : Industrial, mechanical, electronics, electrical or equivalent oriented to the necessities of Position.
ESO is an international organization where the official language is English. It is required that the candidate has a good command of written and spoken English.
Remuneration and Contract
Paranal Observatory located 120 Km south of the city of Antofagasta, Chile. The working schedule will be 8 days on duty and 6 days off duty (8X6) with accommodation provided on site during the shifts.
ESO is committed to equal opportunities. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race or religion.