Bechtel is seeking a Civil / Structural Field Engineer for our MLP INCO Project, based in Salamanca. Minera Los Pelambres is an existing copper mine north of Santiago, Chile.
Bechtel built the original project and subsequent expansions. Since 2016, Bechtel has been working on the development of a brownfield expansion of the existing copper concentrator that will add 40,000 tpd to its current production, and in September 2017 commenced the detailed engineering.
The project also includes a 400-liter per second desalination plant and a 65-km, 24-inch water pipeline.
Leads construction engineers in a broad range of construction engineering work within a specific engineering discipline for a particular area of the project.
Provides engineering assistance to superintendents, directs assigned personnel in meeting cost and time schedules, verifies materials, equipment, and quality and assures results meet design requirements.
JOB DIMENSIONS :
A. Supervision Received
Receives technical and operational supervision from supervising construction engineer or assigned supervising discipline superintendent.
B. Supervision Exercised
Provides technical and administrative direction to subordinate construction engineers and others, as assigned.
Jobsite contacts are with superintendents and subcontractor’s personnel associated with construction engineering.
Continuous interfacing with client personnel, pertaining to negotiations on subcontract changes.
Interface with the engineering design functional group to identify and resolve design- related issues as implemented in the field.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES :
1. Responsible for the activities of assigned construction engineers, such as the application of drawings, specifications, and subcontracts.
2. Directs preparation of quantity listings of field purchased material and equipment. Initiates requisitions for field purchases.
3. Supervises preparation of construction drawings and schedules. Supervises design of temporary construction facilities and ensures preparation of as built drawings and other job plans.
4. Assists subordinate construction engineers and superintendents in :
Interpreting design drawings.
Monitoring equipment installation and planning for delivery of construction materials and equipment.
Assuring that proper warehousing and storage exists to ensure environmental protection.
5. Reviews specifications, purchase orders, subcontracts, inspection reports, delivery schedules, instruction manuals and technical data.
6. Administers assigned subcontracts to ensure contract remains up to date in areas such as drawings, specifications, cost and schedule.
7. Coordinates with the Field Construction Manager on activities affecting the contract administration operation.
8. Coordinates with engineering design on constructability issues.
9. Supervises subcontractor work efforts and administers routine subcontract changes and interfaces with client personnel.
May represent the company in contractual discussions and negotiations.
10. Reviews and / or supervises, as assigned, the preparation of construction estimates, cost engineering studies, schedules and budgets.
11. Analyzes assigned construction activities to determine the scope, time and resource requirements.
12. Ensures that vendors’ bids for material and equipment are in conformance to specifications.
13. Coordinates the interfacing between the construction automation plan and the project controls program at the jobsite.
Reviews project controls documents on progress relating to cost and schedule.
14. Performs personnel evaluation of assigned subordinate personnel and ensures they receive progressive training.
15. May direct minimal numbers of manual craft field forces during project closeout.
16. Works with various functions to ensure the project achieves corporate goals set for environmental, safety & health, quality, cost, and schedule.
JOB KNOWLEDGE :
This knowledge is normally gained through :
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, OR
Specialized courses in construction management, AND / OR
Work experience as a construction engineer, engineer or assistant superintendent leading to an understanding of the technical knowledge described above.
On a large project, independently performs assigned activities in one discipline, interfacing with other disciplines in all areas of the jobsite.
On a small to medium-sized project, functions as a lead discipline engineer, coordinating related discipline activities and interfacing with other areas / disciplines on the jobsite.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth.
Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity.
These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.